MySQL standalone issues

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Tue Mar 20 18:25:22 EDT 2012

Hi Sieg,
Doesn't seem like storing data in external files should be a problem,
especially since the app has been working for so long, although maybe
there's a different path to the files needed for the standalone than in the
IDE.

Still think there could be clues in a sample of the failing code along with
the error message you're getting.

Pete

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Sieg Lindstrom <sl at trackandfieldnews.com>wrote:

> Thanks, Pete. That gives me a clue. The LC app of primary concern to me
> has such a long history it started out as a HyperCard stack (and formerly
> interfaced with a local database, not MySQL). There are instances in which
> it temporarily saves data to text files to get around HyperCard's
> 30,000-character field length limit. That said, I have considered that
> aspect before, and the text files in question are included with the stack
> in the standalone settings, but maybe I haven't done that properly.
>
> In fact, I now realize that the text files, being of such ancient vintage,
> don't have .txt extensions. Now wondering if that is the root of the
> problem, even though this app has worked in the IDE for 7 years.
>
> Sieg Lindstrom
>
> On Mar 20, 2012, at 1:20 PM, Pete wrote:
>
> > Hi Sieg,
> > I don't know of such an article but people on this list can probably help
> > if you give use a bit more detail about what the queries are and what
> error
> > messages you are getting.
> >
> > There shouldn't be any SQL reasons for things not working in a standalone
> > if they worked in the IDE so I suspect it's some LC related issue.  The
> > favorite candidate for things like this is usually relying on data being
> > saved somewhere in the standalone, which can't be done.

Pete