Serious Question about the list...

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 18 22:17:29 EDT 2012

I like mailing lists because
1) using a gmail account, not only do I get my own searchable archive of
all the messages, but I can keep that online and not worry about ever
running out of space
2) I do #1 not just for LC but for every development tool I use.  I have
one account that gets every message from every list for every tool going
back YEARS.  In the case of some tools, since the very early days of gmail
being invite-only
3) It's easy to pre-categorize for every tool and for threads, authors, and
topics within that tool.  I want to pay attention to what the smart kids
are doing, so I can set up categories so that I can stalk them.
4) I don't have to go poking through the groups on a forum the way that the
forum has them set up, or poking through them at all.  In the case of some
of the tools that have multiple lists for various topics (attempting to
mimic the categorization of a forum but in a list), I can completely ignore
the list boundaries because the categories can merge all the lists.
5) It's many fewer clicks to get into the mailing lists and scan the
messages than it is to get through the forums and scan them, and since
gmail changes the colors on threads I've viewed, I know right away if I'm
current on a thread I'm watching or not.

Mailing lists are just much, much more convenient, IMHO.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."