Failing to understand the oddities of the "line" chunk

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Mar 18 19:52:51 EDT 2012

You're right (IMHO) - the original reason I struggled to understand this
was not the trailing delimiter issue, but rather the incorrect handling
of 'inverted' ranges in a chunk expression.

There are a variety of possible valid interpretations of a inverted
range (my opinion is that these are, in order):

1. normalize the order (as you suggested)
      (i.e. put xxx into line  3 to 2 ... would be equivalent to put xxx
into line 2 to 3 ...)
2. take the "from" part of the chunk range expression, and stop there
      (i.e. put xxx into line  3 to 2 ... would be equivalent to put xxx
into line 2 ...)
3. cause an error !!??

What it does now is (I think) equivalent to
      put xxx before line 3 of ....
Which is consistent to viewing
    put xxx into (chunk) of (container)
as being equivalent to
    put xxx before line tFROM of container
    repeat with i = tFROM to tTO of container
       delete line i of (the original) container
   end repeat

So I can just about see that there is some consistency in the current
method - but it is highly unintuitive and hard to predict.

-- Alex.