Detection of Keyboard Closing

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Mar 15 19:47:16 EDT 2012

> I am happy to report that all three approached work.  The keyboard stays hidden until the field is touched.  Enter some data with the keyboard, switch focus to another field, touch the initial field, focus switch and keyboard comes back up.   All seems normal.
>
> However I think I found a bug.   If you DO NOT enter any data just close the keyboard, switch focus to another field and then touch the initial field, focus will not move back to the field touched therefore no keyboard will appear.  I am using 5.5rc1
>
> So there is still no answer  my original question of knowing when the keyboard is closed.  I see now that you might be able to use the focusOut message but the keyboard can be closed and the field can still have focus.   In my experiments, I was fortunate that i had another field that could acquire focus and pull it away from the first field.  Closing the keyboard does not remove focus.

Yes, unfortunately showing/hiding the keyboard on Android is a hit-or-miss situation. We don't get any messages that the keyboard is deploying or not (like we get in iOS), and there's also no way AFAIK to know the height of the keyboard - which on Android is a big issue since you can swap keyboards easily and they can (and do) have different heights.

This is something RunRev is going to have to address...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/