App-Design question, was: how to resize icons when resizing objects?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Mar 15 04:42:45 EDT 2012

Perhaps I've asked the wrong question. If you have a resizable screen-layout
(with additionally chooseable textsize), is there an approach to also resize
the buttons, if they have graphical icons? Ok, most programs I know don't
resize the buttons, when resizing the window or the fields, but I would like
to resize also the buttons proportional to the window. But the buttons have
graphical icons, which don't resize, when resizing the button. And even if I
could resize the icons they would lose their quality when resizing.
What I am thinking about is to make the app / buttons better accessible for
example on a touchpad (Windows 8) when scaling my app window to full screen.
The only approach I see right now, would be to create at least two sets of
buttons (or at least of the icons) and switch them at a certain size of the
window, but that doesn't look very straight forward.
Am I looking for a no go or don't I see the obvious? Any experiences?
Thanks
Tiemo