OT - BING HAS TAKEN OVER MY SEARCH ENGINE

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Wed Mar 14 14:00:02 EDT 2012

On 03/14/2012 12:25 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 03/14/2012 11:42 AM, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
>> continued frustration. Result was "website cannot be found". (sigh!)
>> Thanks anyway! Just not my day. My vision is poorer than usual today.
>> Joe Wilkins
>

> That seems odd. You can edit the prefs files directly in a text editor.
> It's not difficult or scary. You need to know where your profile is and
> which one if there are more than one. This may help:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
> http://gemal.dk/mozilla/profile.html
>

> MAKE SURE FIREFOX IS NOT OPEN WHILE YOU DO EDIT THE FILE!!!
>
> Once you've found your profile directory, open the file called prefs.js
> in your favorite text editor. Search for
> "browser.search.defaultenginename". You want that line to look this way:
>
> user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");
>
> You may also have a file called user.js Check that to make sure it
> doesn't have anything that conflicts with this.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
>
> Good luck :)
>
> Warren

I should have tried this before I wrote. There are two lines that need
to be checked:

user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");
user_pref("browser.search.defaulturl", "http://www.google.com/");

I'm not sure why, but it's not working here as simply as it should. Set
this in prefs.js and for good measure, also create a file "user.js" in
this same folder and add these lines to it:

# my search engine preference
user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");
user_pref("browser.search.defaulturl", "http://www.google.com/");

Good luck!

Warren