What is wrong with this ?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Mar 12 17:57:04 EDT 2012

Reminds me of a recent situation I had with with network equipment. We couldn't get the new Mesh Wireless to work properly on our very large network. People were blaming the network, and suggesting we needed to isolate everything with routers and whatnot. I told them that is a lot like the farmer who bought a heifer, but when the time came to deliver he got a sow. Amazingly, the farmer did not demand the delivery of the heifer he paid for, but instead built a new pen for the sow!

If there is something wrong, it may work to pen the problem in, but it isn't fixing the problem. Oh, btw for those who care, the problem with the mesh turned out to be really small arp caches. The arp entry for the gateway would get dropped after the cache filled up, so each mesh wireless would think it lost the connection to the internet, and began using another mesh to get there.

Bob