HELP! - Linefeeds and Mac Vs Windows

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 21:03:29 EDT 2012

On 11 Mar 2012, at 21:48, RevList wrote:
> I have compared the two versions of the files in editors that allow me to show the invisible characters and they look identical.
> Comparing the two in BBEdit indicates the files are identical, yet when I open them in NotePad, they clearly are not.

If you check the file sizes you will see that the Windows one is 75 bytes bigger than the Mac one. It looks like the Mac version has either cr or lf as the line ending character and the Wind version has crlf.

NotePad won't break text on only a linefeed character. It needs  CRLF. BBEdit will display text with either line ending. I think if you open the "Mac" version with WordPad on Windows, it will display as expected.

If you save the files from Livecode using the "binfile" url style (or binary write), the files will be identical and have lf line endings, but probably won't display properly in Notepad. I think they will work as Perl scripts on either platform.

I think the main problem here is Notepad. You may want to look for a better text editor on Windows. (e.g. Notepad ++ )

Dave