[WOT] Warning - long winded discussion - was Re: Apple iPad announcement evokes yawn

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 21:11:55 EST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> It sounds like there is more than one DHCP server, and that the other is
> rejecting the lease requests, but the way DHCP is supposed to work is, all
> servers respond with a DHCP offer, and the first one the client sees it
> uses. There is information in the broadcast traffic to indicate which
> server the client has accepted. If an offer is not acknowledged by a
> client, it is dropped.
>
> If you can get ahold of a 3rd party DHCP server that allows you to set up
> static IP addresses, you can just turn off the other DHCP servers and use
> that. I use IPNetRouterX, which is a full blown software router and
> firewall, and I just turn off the router and use the built in DHCP server.
> It's $100 though. I have a 400+ node network so it's worth it for me to
> control who gets what IP.

I've adjusted Lease time from x Days down to the current 30 min. It's made
no difference, and as I say, as soon as someone logs off, the next person
can log on and they don't get a new IP, they don't get the IP of the person
that just logged off, they get the IP they had last night before they went
to bed, which is the same after 8hrs of logged off sleep in the morning
before they headed out the door. My guess is that the TimeCapsule remembers
the IP it associates with each MAC address and doesn't bother handing out a
new IP unless it's a new MAC. As such, boyfriends and girlfriends can turn
up and log on, because there is still a buffer in the IP range I've
allocated, as long as there are not already 10 devices logged in.

Thanks everyone for your responses, this is a LC forum and this thread is
WOT so I think enough is enough. At least you've saved me money because I
was very seriously considering buying an OS X server.