[WOT] Warning - long winded discussion - was Re: Apple iPad announcement evokes yawn

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Mar 9 11:24:04 EST 2012

It sounds like there is more than one DHCP server, and that the other is rejecting the lease requests, but the way DHCP is supposed to work is, all servers respond with a DHCP offer, and the first one the client sees it uses. There is information in the broadcast traffic to indicate which server the client has accepted. If an offer is not acknowledged by a client, it is dropped.

If you can get ahold of a 3rd party DHCP server that allows you to set up static IP addresses, you can just turn off the other DHCP servers and use that. I use IPNetRouterX, which is a full blown software router and firewall, and I just turn off the router and use the built in DHCP server. It's $100 though. I have a 400+ node network so it's worth it for me to control who gets what IP.

Bob