Changing mobile horses in midstream?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:11:55 EST 2012

On 03/05/2012 07:39 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I'm developing an app that is supposed to work on iOS devices - iPhones or iPads, so to keep a single code base, I need to set up the layout of the app at startup. This has been discussed before and I feel it's not so tough. I did a lot of similar stuff on Windows apps in the past, to cater for different monitor sizes, and even multiple monitors.
>
> My question may be a nonsensical one, but is it conceivable that an app could start on one device and somehow be transferred to or woken up on another, so that the layout work would have to be done again during the operation of the device? This is kind of an extension of the issue that the orientation of a device (portrait<-->  landscape) can change at any time (if the app permits it). I am just trying to cover for the idea that the working screenrect might actually change during execution, apart from the obvious 90 degree switch.
>
> Graham

Just for the sake of argument I made a stack called REKKER, with a
button containing the following script:

on mouseUp
    put item 3 of the screenrect into WIDD
    put item 4 of the screenRect into HITE
    set the width of stack "REKKER" to (WIDD-100)
    set the height of stack "REKKER" to (HITE-100)
    set the loc of stack "REKKER" to the screenLoc
on mouseUp

all amazingly, goofily, obvious. AND, on changing the screenRect of my
monitor it does
what it should WHEN I click on the button.

And its the 'WHEN' that's the rub . . . what is not clear to me is how
the stack is going to detect when
the end-user resizes his/her monitor resolution.