Sqlite and performances in LiveCode

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 01:22:52 EST 2012

No, it's not the same one.

Looking at the SQLabs site, SQLabs "developed from scratch a brand new
ListBox that is able to display an infinite number of rows and columns in
just few milliseconds. This is a fundamental base control for the app."
They've been optemising their product since 2003, it would be surprising if
you can match them on your first try.

I did a few tests with FireFox's SQLite Manager and for 50,000 records
(11MB) it took 504ms to display in a field that could display ALL records.

Testing with LC I could extract the same records in 409ms but to display
them all in a field took it out to 917ms. By reducing the number of records
displayed to the size of the field, it took 410ms. Clearly LC fields are
the limiting factor here.

I then noticed that in FireFox, although all the rows could be scrolled
down to the bottom, the columns were all truncated. So I then changed my LC
field to a 'Basic table object', set the 'Maximum editable columns' to
match exactly the number of columns I had, and then set the tab stops so
only a small portion of data of each column was displayed - similar to how
FireFox truncated it's columns. In this way I was able to display ALL the
rows in 491 ms.

This may not be as fast as SQLabs, but I think they maybe the speed kings.
Compared to another SQLite tool I was able to get LC to perform just as
fast, if  not a little faster.

HTH