[iOS] Suspending and quitting

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Mar 4 00:17:41 EST 2012

On 3/3/12 10:22 PM, Dar Scott wrote:
> I apologize.  I was not clear.
>
> I was trying to suggest that one can design the app so that every
> launch is a virtual resume.

That could work but in this case it isn't ideal. I'm thinking of my
solitaire game. The main card is the gameboard. The other cards are
Settings, Help, Score History, and so forth. They aren't particularly
critical. It isn't a huge deal to just find yourself back at the
gameboard the next time you open it.

But if you're on, say, the Settings page and you switch over to check
your email for moment, when you come back you'd logically expect to be
at Settings again. Only you aren't, you're back at the gameboard.
Nothing is particularly lost, but it's disorienting.

I tend to think of a single press on the Home button as a Quit action
(like the Android "back" button) because if I press that, I generally
mean to stop and do something else. Maybe others don't see it that way.
That's part of what I'd like to know.

I'm already managing the "resume" behavior by storing the game progress
and restoring it on launch. I could easily store the last-visited card
as well and go there on launch instead of the gameboard. I guess my
question is: should I? And when? And does anyone even care?

In my world, the Home button would mean "start over next time" and any
other method would mean "come back to this card." In either case, game
progress would always be restored. The goal is just a more visually
consistent behavior.

Maybe it isn't an issue. I only thought of it because the card-jump
happened to me today and it looked weird.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com