User's System

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 02:08:37 EST 2012

On 03/03/2012 08:27 AM, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
> I want to determine if the user is using Windows or Mac.
>
> I see in the LiveCode Dictionary that the machine function returns "x86" for Windows, but doesn't say what to expect from OS X.
>
> On my OS X desktop it returns "unknown".
>
> Is there more complete documentation about this?
>
> Peter
> UCLA

The documentation is a bit 'dicky', and on my Linux box "put the
machine" gives me i686 (which presumably is going to be
exactly what "put the machine" would do if the same machine were running
Windows); so, a fat lot of good.

My macMini PPC gets 'unknown' from "put the machine'; also fairly useless.

HOWEVER: "put the platform" yields 'Linux' and 'MacOS' respectively;
and, I assume, this should give you 'Windows' or somesuch
for Windows.

I wonder what the purpose of 'machine' is as it is so obviously incomplete?

Richmond.