The encryption (or is it?) of the saved stand-alone

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jun 22 17:04:38 EDT 2012

There are always ways to decompile an application, if you have the right tools and expertise. If you are asking if the security is absolute, then no, but then neither is it for Microsoft Word or anything else. You can download cracked versions of major software on torrents all over the globe. Security is only to make it difficult enough on a criminal that there is either time to catch him in the act, or else frustrate him enough to inspire him to find easier fish.

Some developers release library utilities which allow someone to execute their code, but not alter or even view it. sqlYoga does this, but that is not a compiled application. I am not sure how this works for standalone applications where your mainstack is the application. I don't know if the applications is actually encrypted in the classic sense of the word. The password certainly is.

I do not think I would password protect a standalone application with a GUI. That wouldn't make sense to me. If however your mainstack is only a splash screen and your GUI app was a substack of that, then these are (at least on a Mac) included in the application bundle. I do not know what would prevent someone who knew what they were doing to open the bundle and extract your actual application.

I suppose one solution would be to include your nuts and bolts code in a locked library stack, which then would be inaccessible without the password. I think that is what most developers do. If you are only demonstrating a proof of concept, it may not be necessary to take such measures.

Bob