LiveCodeOnline [Was: Re: Rev Online]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jun 20 19:58:00 EDT 2012

On 20/06/2012 01:23, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> In LiveCode, see Development->Plugins->GoRevNet, and once there see
> the Stacks section.
>
> RevNet was the first community-based stack sharing service, later
> somewhat displaced by the advent of RevOnline two years later.
>
> It all still works, and I would be happy to work with anyone here to
> expand it to be even more useful.
Richard,

you are absolutely correct - RevNet is exactly the kind of thing I was
thinking of, I'd simply forgotten about it because it got "pushed aside"
by revonline. Most of the stacks available through RevNet have been, or
still are, here on my system.

I think it could benefit from some additional features (mostly seeon on
revonline, such as finer granularity of categories, or keyword tags, or
search by author, or ....) (and I'll email you off-list about spending
some of my copious spare time on those).

But RevNet also needs three other things:

  - publicity. It needs to become common to see a posting on the
use-list (or in the forums) that says "I've just posted a little stack
to RevNet to do ..."

  - it needs to become slightly less imposing. It was always clear that
revonline was for everyone to use - and many people would post things on
there. RevNet looks a little bit too much like "only experts put stuff
there". It's probably a combination of the style, and maybe the language
(e.g. calling them resources rather than sample stacks) and probably
just gathering more usage.

  - more stacks.

So - unless a better alternative appears in the next day or two - I'd
urge everyone who has posted stacks to revonline to also add them to
RevNet. I'll be doing that with the stacks I used to have on revonline
(though I'll probably take the opportunity to tidy them up a bit first
-some of them are a bit old :-).

-- Alex.