Upgrade to Lion on 15 inch laptop pro forces resize of stacks

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 10:07:32 EDT 2012

William, after some extensive testing of Lion, I conclude that Lion behaves
better than Snow Leopard in regard to the available size a stack can take
up. I can only surmise that when you upgraded to Lion your Dock settings
changed, in particular the default size prior to any magnification effect.

I request you remove your Bug report from QCC, unless someone can prove
otherwise.

Here are my tests run from the LC IDE, I thought the fact the screen Rez on
my wife's Lion MacMini was different than my SnoLeo MBP was going to be a
problem, but as you'll see it proves LC's behaviour is very consistent.

SnoLeo numbers on the left/Lion numbers on the right.

Snow Leopard Screen 1920x1200
Lion Screen 1920x1080

Dock at LEFT
Dock set to the Largest Size
Magnification set to Max
Automatically hide and show ON
No LC Toolbar Text
No LC Toolbar Icons

Stack Height: 1116/996
84/84 pixels less than screen height
62/62 pixels less than working screen height
34/34 pixels less than window boundary height

Change: Dock at BOTTOM

Stack Height: 1112/992
88/88 pixels less than screen height
62/62 pixels less than working screen height
34/34 pixels less than window boundary height

Change: Automatically hide and show OFF

Stack Height: 991/885
209/195 pixels less than screen height (Lion is better)
62/62 pixels less than working screen height
34/34 pixels less than window boundary height

Change: Dock set to the Smallest Size
Change: Magnification set to OFF

Stack Height: 1083/963
117/117 pixels less than screen height
62/62 pixels less than working screen height
34/34 pixels less than window boundary height

Change: Magnification set to Max

Stack Height: 1083/963
117/117 pixels less than screen height
62/62 pixels less than working screen height
34/34 pixels less than window boundary height

Change: Dock set to the Largest Size
Change: Show LC Toolbar Text
Change: Show LC Toolbar Icons

Stack Height: 967/861
233/219 pixels less than screen height (Lion is better)
86/86 pixels less than working screen height
34/34 pixels less than window boundary height

To Summarise;

The tallest Stack is achieved by having the Dock on the left or right -
only 84 pixels lost.
Moving the Dock to the bottom with Auto Hide On, you lose another 4 pixels
- 88.
Turning Auto Hide Off, with the Size at Smallest, regardless of
Magnification, you lose another 29 pixels - 117.
Increasing the Size of the Dock Icons increases the pixels lost, at Max
Size you lose 92 pixels on SnoLeo but less, 78 pixels on Lion - 209/195 !!!
Turning LiveCode's Tool Text and Tool Icons ON loses an additional 24
pixels - but this would not be valid for standalones.

Therefore, you can lose 0 to 149 pixels (135 for Lion) of stack height
depending on your Dock settings, but either way, Lion is better than Snow
Leopard. I assume the case is similar for stack width if you have the dock
set at Left or Right.