Password protecting a data file... how to cope with forgotten password?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 02:09:44 EDT 2012

Tereza,

If I remember correctly you are on Mac? If so there is a command line
option, cryptically called 'Security' you can use to store the password in
Keychain Access, and recover it, if need be.

This link (below) goes to an AppleScript site that uses this option. I send
you there rather than direct to the Security Man Page (which is linked to
via the AppleScript page) because there are some nice notes which highlight
some gotchas with some of the terminology used, and User discovered info
that the Man Page doesn't cover. The AppleScript is also pretty readable
and should give you a good head start to doing what you need with LC.

http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=36818

I have not done this myself, but I would suggest opening Keychain Access,
manually adding a dummy Account + Password, then open Terminal and
experiment with the Security commands to see if you can extract and change
the dummy password. Once I got that squared away I'd move on to testing the
ability to add another dummy Account + Password.

If it can be done with AS + Terminal, it can be done with LC + Terminal.

HTH