English language learners and LiveCode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:46:29 EDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 06:03 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>

> Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote
>> It wouldn't be difficult at all. But RunRev have demonstrated their
>> attitude towards this quite adequately already.
>>
> Actually, RunRev is working on the Educational side
> of their business, but I am not aware about the most
> recent developments on this specific area.
>
> So, Richmond, please, explain what is RunRev attitude
> about this topic.

I have repeatedly raised the possibility of either a feature-reduced
version of Livecode
or a re-release of an earlier version of Livecode (say 2.0) at an
extremely cheap rate
if not free.

This has been ignored.

Free RevMedia, as we are surely all well aware, lasted a very short
while........

----------------------

What RunRev should be well aware of by now is that the teachers are not
wealthy, but
educational authorities and private educational institutions often are.

However, the way to influence the groups with the money is,
by-and-large, through teachers.

Therefore, were  either of the possibilities I mentioned above
available, teacher might
try them out and, realising the "good within" bring pressure to bear on
educational powers.

--------------------

Educational pricing for Livecode is really comparatively reasonable:
http://www.runrev.com/education/pricing.html

I especially like "with additional seats at $25 each"

Preumably teachers are not allowed to buy themselves individual copies
for $25.

what I do not see are attractive enough 'hooks' to get the
educationalists in there in the first place.

The argument will be that a would-be buyer can download a trial version.

On this note, I downloaded a Linux trial version of LC 5.5.0, but it
would not accept my password.

I contacted Heather and got this reply:

"Thank you for your request.

I have activated a trial for you, this time. However, I need to point
out that
this is the second time I've activated a trial for you, and LiveCode is
not free
software. At some point, you are going to need to give us some money if
you want
to continue using it. I am limited in the number of free trials I can
activate for
you."

and this seems rather odd, as, surely, "Free Trials" are free trials;
and as nothing terribly productive can be done with them such as
spinning off standalone, it doesn't make sense.

Let's suppose that I am wondering about buying 10 LC versions at
educational pricing for
teaching programming - the fact that I have been using RR 4.0 and RR4.5
for donkey's ages
without buying further upgrades shouldn't enter into whether I have
access to a Trial.

Unfortunately I have to report that, having been allowed 30 day Trial of
Livecode 5.5.0,
and downloading it to my machine running Xubuntu 12.04 it would not work
beyond
a "setting defaults" page.

I had to 'kill' the IDE twice using the 'Task Manager'.