Live WWDC keynote feed

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:46:20 EDT 2012

Hi Richard,

Richard Gaskin wrote

> [snip]
> Here's what I'm thinking:
>
> Resolution independence is no longer an option, but truly a requirement.
> To pull that off RunRev would need to abstract the screen metrics so
> that the units we work with aren't specifically pixels per se, but a
> unit that gets interpreted dynamically depending on the target resolution.
>
> We could stop there, with just one pixel density for everything at
> runtime and that would help with the question of handling so-called
> "retina" displays and other pixel densities.
>
> But such an implementation would miss an opportunity for something more:
>
> Once coordinates are abstracted, it would be ideal to be able to apply
> them to specific objects in addition to the card or stack as a whole.
>
> If we had that, then we can make all sorts of really useful zoom view
> features in our apps.
>
> Even if limited to groups, as Alejandro suggests, the scope of new
> features we could add would be profound, enabling many apps to support
> the sorts of features users are accustomed to.
>
> Drawing programs, print layout, and more - all become zoomable with
> relative ease once the engine provides us with abstract coordinates.

Abstract coordinates. This sounds like a complete game changer. :-D

I have stated before that I am not an Apple fan, (although I really was a
happy user) nor a Microsoft basher (ALWAYS blaming others is not healthy),
and my close friends frecuently remembers me that I said: "In the future
every computer will be using linux..."

After reading your comment, I remembered something that Apple
evangelist used to say, back in 1987:

"Apple leads the way to innovations in computing. Apple computers
of today shows you how will be every other computer in the future."

After, they were correct about what is Apple's role: Show a way (of many)
to the future of computing.

Apple's sucess depends on the credibility of their proposals.

Does users, software developers and PC makers believe that Ultra High
resolution
displays are part of the future of computing???

If the answer is yes, we could expect, for next year, a flood of
these displays in every device know to mankind.
If the answer is no, these machines would found their niche
among graphics and video professionals.

To be honest, I would have like to know how will be today
the computing panorama, if Commodore Amiga was the model
for hardware like Apple was for software...

Al