Geography based game?

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Mon Jun 11 15:20:00 EDT 2012

On 11/06/2012 19:11, Larry Weaver wrote:
> In the meantime, I've been tasked by a friend to help develop a
> geography based game for her middle school class. Since there will not
> be an internet or wifi connection allowed, it rules out any connection
> to Google maps and related data. I'm not sure how to begin to approach a
> self contained version.

There's lots of good open-source geographic resources online now.

I'd be thinking of accessing openstreetmaps' data somehow.  polymaps.org
is an example of how to access the data through Javascript, mashing it
up with other data in interesting ways.

Specifically, http://polymaps.org/ex/world.html is an interesting place
to start.

I understand your need for offline data.  I would think of this as a way
to mine your data and then to store it in an accessible way for offline use.

Once you've got the data for the shape of each country at whatever level
of detail you like, you can put the points into a grc, and make outlines
of countries.  The grc can receive mouse events, etc.

Hope that helps.

Fairly tangentially, I don't know if you've seen it but the latest
academy where they have 60 examples of how to do stuff with LiveCode is
worth the money. Each example is a less than 5 minute example, and they
demo some pretty powerful stuff.

Perhaps even more powerful than the details of what they're showing, is
the speed at which one is able to develop in LiveCode.  The Game Academy
was the same.  After watching those, I felt like I had been given an
accelerator button to develop stuff faster in LiveCode.

-Ken