Push notifications on the desktop?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jun 6 17:45:14 EDT 2012

If you control the clients (and how they connect to the database), then
it's trivial
(think of it as a chat application :-)

  - have each client register with an  "update server"
  - when a client changes something, it tells the "update server"
  - the update server then notifies each client

If you don't have that control, then your best chance is :
   - for local subnet - broadcast to *.*.*.255 as Mark S. suggested.
       NB this is currently problematic on Mac, but seems to work fine
on Windows
            (sorry, don't know about Linux)
  - for general internet - just hope that you control the clients :-)

-- Alex.