Storing data on iOS

FlexibleLearning admin at FlexibleLearning.com
Thu Jul 26 03:02:15 EDT 2012

For those who have gone before those who have gone before...

What sort of files does Apple allow to be downloaded? 'text' only files?
Defined by type of file (video, pdf etc)? Is there such a list?

I think I have established that 'executable' files will be rejected (i.e.
stack files) which is a real pain because I have a desktop app that would
ideally launch stack files from a home page index of modules. If this is the
case, what about a 'definition text file' that the app use to create the
stack on demand?

(This is, of course, apart from plists, licences,
XcodeVersion+iOSversion+LCversion combinations, submission processes etc.
Whatever happened to 'programming for the rest of us'!)

Hugh 'Wanting to grow roses instead of programming' Senior
FLCo

-----Original Message-----
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:39:43 -0500
From: "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
Subject: Storing data on iOS

For those who have gone before me:

I have some files that are downloaded from a server and stored on the
device. The files will be updated periodically. I don't want to download
them repeatedly unless they've changed.

Apple says not to store data in the documents folder if it can be
retrieved from elsewhere. That makes me think I should keep it in the
cache folder. But I'd rather it was backed up so the user doesn't need
an internet connection if they want to use the app and the cache has
been wiped.

Where would you store the files?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com