Why killing Media was killing an investment in the future

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:19:42 EDT 2012

On 07/23/2012 09:26 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I have two issues with that statement: "Worshipping" and "at any cost". Excuse me, that is a mouthful. Can you cite some examples of "the USA" (whatever that means specifically) "worshipping" as in raising up to the level of God, "successful people" (I need names please) "at any cost". If you are going to level accusations in this forum my lad, you had best be prepared to back them up with verifiable fact.
>
> Bob
>

> On Jul 23, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>
>> I just keep wondering how far is USA going in worshiping
>> successful people who get their way at any cost.

That is a load of old codswallop; the vast majority of people in the USA
have a fairly high and consistent
level of ethics. Of course there are people who have 'succeeded' by
dubious means; that does not detract from all those hard-working people
who have succeeded quite honestly.

You should try to avoid blanket statements.

The USA does 'worship' success (and what is wrong with that??? nothing
as far as I can tell), but NOT
at any cost.

However I have qualified 'worship' with single quotes so we can all see
I mean that in a sort of metaphorical way, and not in a Bull-of-Bashan
sort of way.

What is also the case, is that in Britain (and elsewhere) success is
(generally) squashed, regulated into a corner by the state, and
discouraged. I would argue that British education aims at a mediocre
conformity that results in a quite different outlook on success to that
in the United States.

The other day, driving back from Germany, my wife (who is neither
British nor American) asked me
this:

"How come, considering Germany was shot to blazes by 2 world wars in the
20th century, is it so
rich and pleasant compared with shabby, down-at-heel Britain?"

And my answer largely consisted of 2 words: "national mentality".

And while I'm here, I should point out that the USA has always struck me
as a 'Germanic' nation that happens to speak English. The English
version of North America (the CSA) fought against the Germanic version
(the USA) and lost.

British people should always be grateful for 2 things that saved them
from becoming a Nazi satellite:

1. The good people of the USA do speak English,

and

2. Winston Churchill was half American.