which Linux?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:27:47 EDT 2012

On 07/03/2012 09:19 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> stephen barncard wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> >
> >> For development, obviously Ubuntu simply because it's the largest
> >> audience by far.
> >>
> >> But for demo, I would suggest Linux Mint.  It's based on Ubuntu
> >> and very easy to use, with a pleasant UI that folks tend to like
> >> right off.  But more important for LiveCode is that it doesn't
> >> use a global menu bar, Ubuntu's Launcher, or other Ubuntu-specific
> >> things that LiveCode doesn't support well right now.
> >>

> > Richard, which desktop do you prefer, MATE or Cinnamon?
>
> Being an Ubuntu fanboy, I like Unity.  I think Gnome Shell has a lot
> going for it too, and the gestalt of its appearance is very appealing.
> But I think Unity is a much bolder experiment.

Chacun a son gout!

I really am wary of saying one type of desktop is better than another;
if you want the type of
WIMP GUI that has been around since Mac OS 7 then go for XFCE 4.10; if
you want to make it
slightly more Mac-OS-X-y then add Avant Window Navigator. If you want
something a bit more
like Windows 8 or a tablet go for Unity.

If you are masochistic or rampantly retro go for Fluxbox . . .   :)

Richmond.