Find oddity?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 19 13:45:35 EST 2012

On 1/19/12 11:34 AM, dunbarx at aol.com wrote:
> Kay.
>

> Interesting, but I did not mean to cloud the issue. I was just fooling around,
>

> So you do see that, with a single instance of text in a field, successive find commands will alternately box and then unbox the foundtext?
>

> To me, this is a bug.

It's intentional behavior to overcome the limitations HC had with the
same command. In HC you had to store the initial find location and then
check every subsequent find against that to see if you had wrapped
around to the beginning. The LiveCode engine improved on that and has
always had the behavior it has now. When there are no more hits, the box
is removed and the result contains "not found". The next instance of
find will start again at the beginning and continue boxing found text
until there is no more; at that point the box disappears again.

In LiveCode, you don't need to store the found location or cross
reference anything. Just check the result and if it isn't empty, you've
found all instances. You don't even need to remove the box, it's automatic.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com