SQL Date Formatting

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Wed Jan 11 21:53:32 EST 2012

Hi Bob,
I guess it depends on what you mean by "real dates"  SQL date fields are
pretty specific as to their format, that's why you give them a type of DATE
or DATETIME.  It's just a case of adjusting your SELECT statement to use
the functions that SQL provides to return the date in whatever format you
want.

In SQLite, SELECT strftime(DateField,'%m/%d/%Y') returns the date in US
format.

In mySQL, SELECT DATE_FORMAT(DateField,'%m/%d/%Y)

Or you can select the field as is and convert it in LC:

set the itemdelimiter to "/"
put item 2 of myDate & "/" & item 3 of myDate & "/" & item 1 of myDate

Pete

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I am having F-I-TZ working with dates in mySQL. I WANT to store
> the dates as real dates, but mySQL formats them as yyyy-mm-dd. Livecode
> does no such thing and nothing I know how to do can get Livecode to work
> with dates in this format AS dates.
>
> It's no good for my present purposes to work with other formats. I query
> SQL and then drop the data into a datagrid with no custom formatting, and
> that is just the way it has to be. What I need is to tell Livecode to sue
> SLQ date formatting. I have no real hope, but if someone knows of a way to
> do that, I would appreciate it.
>
> I think what is really needed is a feature request for one more date
> format for the convert command: convert myDate to sqlDate. <sigh>
>
> Bob

Pete