[iOS] Ask password not encrypted?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Feb 28 14:04:30 EST 2012

There are a number of reasons for encrypting passwords. First, let's say you stored user accounts and passwords on a web server unencrypted. There are multitudinous examples of web servers getting hacked into via some bit of software on the side or directly, and once that happens you will have exposed all your users accounts to the hacker. Not only that, but many people use the same credentials for everything, including banking, their logon's at work, etc. So perhaps the data you are storing isn't that critical, but you can see how the credentials are a gold mine. Anyone with a list of them can begin trying them on virtually anything on the internet using software crafted for that purpose.

Further, traffic can be intercepted and monitored, by someone on a wireless that is bridged to your LAN or else by someone connected via Ethernet. Credentials passed over the network in "clear text" is a MAJOR no-no.

The best way IMHO to encrypt a password in LC is to get it clear text and then use the encryption library to encrypt it yourself using a seed value that only you know. AES 128 will suffice for most things, but some government agencies and companies require AES 256. It is actually very simple to implement. Read up a bit in the dictionary on the subject.

Ideally your connection to an SQL server should use SSL as well, so that all traffic to and from is encrypted. Even if the server is local to your application, it is a good practice. Not incorporating encryption in a commercial application can open you up to all kinds of legal ramifications.

Bob