[OT] HyperCard and the Interactive Web

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Feb 26 18:28:44 EST 2012

I'm (almost entirely) on Geoff's side with this. I am old enough to have worked on computers which wouldn't even boot up until some underpaid geek (me, sometimes) had put in a bootstrap program directly into the machine's RAM - this was done by flicking switches on a massive console. Output was to a teletype if we were lucky… programming was in a crude assembler and comments were distinctly an afterthought. Doubtless we were all heroic in our endeavours, but let's face it, productivity was microscopic compared with today's development environments.

I grabbed high level languages and then WIMP/GUIs with both hands, glad to leave geekdom behind. I love pretty well all the advances towards usability, productivity and clarity that have been made (at an enormous pace) throughout my long career. Hypercard and its successors and especially(for me) LiveCode fit into this line of progress (OK they may not be great for the vast teams that are apparently still needed for many commercial developments, but that's another discussion). I would say I am at least three orders of magnitude more productive now, within sight of the end of my technical life, than I was at the beginning. That may be a gross underestimate. So although I'm all for a solid grasp of first principles, I for one can't see the need for most kids to mess with empty machines and slide-rules. The really geeky ones will find their own way into the bit-twiddling world if that's what they want.

BTW, I am fond of slide-rules but I haven't used mine for a good long time now.

Graham