[OT] HyperCard and the Interactive Web

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 03:26:30 EST 2012

Come to think of things:

Plonking a kid down in front of a computer that has NO programs on it, just
RunRev/Livecode and showing her/him that, very quickly indeed, s/he can get
quite a long way with getting the machine to do what one wants, is
pretty good.

I do this every summer; lots of cast-off Pentium 3's running Ubuntu 5.10
with
RunRev/Livecode 2.2.1, GIMP and a text editor. I have hacked the system
menus so NOTHING else is available at all.

We start with groans and end, after the predictable 90 minutes of
struggle, with smiles.

All of you that have kids in the 7-12 range should try it; go to the
garage/attic/cupboard
an fish out that old, past-it PC; install an old OS on it with GNOME 2
or XFCE,
and tell the kids something vaguely threatening such as "no ice-cream
until . . . ".

In fact, I find it amazingly useful, as I have to force myself back into
a way of thinking
about programming that I have largely forgotten.