Standalone blocked by "software restriction policy"

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Feb 21 22:28:26 EST 2012

AcidJazz-

> To All Marks (and others)

> Thanks for the quick, if somewhat discouraging, response!    Can anyone
> (perhaps Mr. Powell) tell me what code-signing is?

I'll take a stab at this, although you probably want to wait for Mark
Powell to chime in here.

Due to the fact that there are so many bug^H^H^Haspects of Microsoft's
code that people can exploit^H^H^Hutilize, Microsoft created a way to
digitally sign your application when you release it. The code is
directly traceable back to you and verified by the installation code.
That way if somebody or some program messes with your application and
modifies it in any way the verification will fail and the user will be
presented with a warning message before installation proceeds. It's a
way of ensuring that the application is intact from the time it leaves
your hands to the time the end-user installs it. If you don't sign
your application then the user will be get a message to that effect
and "do they want to continue?". IT departments hate that and would
probably be more likely to let signed apps be installed. YMMV.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net