Recreating a binary stack from xml text

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Feb 21 12:40:42 EST 2012

On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Pete wrote:

> As for datagrids, the controls that are permanent fixtures of a datagrid
> are easily identifiable, the rest should not be considered in this scheme
> since they change dynamically every time data is loaded into a datagrid,
> not when the datagird structure changes.  The job of a version comparison
> tool is to detect permanent structural changes, not temporal or data
> storage changes.  The properties of the datagrid itself and the properties
> of the controls in it's template are all that matters since the latter form
> the basis for any temporary controls that are created in the datagrid.

The temporary objects in a datagrid change dynamically IF data is reloaded. What if the developer is using a datagrid as a static list and needs to restore the contents? I think the solution is to bypass the temporary objects of a datagrid, instead saving the datagrid data in some fashion (see my functions for converting an array to text and back again) as a special case. The first time a stack is "versioned" it could present the dev with a list of datagrid objects and allow the dev to choose between versioning the contents or the structure + data.

Where things are going to get really dicey is stacks that are constantly creating and deleting objects and groups. I am not a big fan of using Livecode this way, but people do, so there you are.

Bob