Using DropBox for Faster Mobile Development

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Sat Feb 18 17:47:01 EST 2012

I have to say, the issue of returns in lines has always been confusing to
me.  I've kinda resolved it by thinking of them as separators rather than
terminators.  So if the last line in a list does not have a return, it's
still treated as a line because it's separated from the previous line by
the preceding return.  Unfortunately, that analogy breaks down if you have
a return at the end of the last line since I would expect that to increase
the number of lines by 1 and the last line would be empty, but that's not
the case.  There's still the same number of lines and no empty last line.

Be that as it may, I just ran a test using the same construct as below and
I think there's something other than a return character causing the
problem.  Here's the code:

*on* mouseUp

   *put* "abc" & *return* & "def" & *return* & "ghi"  into myLines

   *repeat* for each line myLine in myLines

      *answer* myLine & tab & (myLine contains *return*)

      *delete* char -1 of myLine

      *answer* myLine & tab & (myLine contains *return*)

   *end* *repeat*

*end* mouseUp

The first answer returns the 3-char line contents and false.  The second
answer returns the first two of the three characters and false.  So it
seems to me that this type of repeat construct does not include the return
character in myLine.  I'm guessing that there's some other non-visible
character in the file that is causing the problem.

Pete

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Peter M. Brigham, MD <pmbrig at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Michael Doub wrote:

> > on mouseUp
> >   put URL "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43797494/LiveCode/LoadLinks" into
> list
> >   repeat for each line x in list
> >      delete the last char of x
> >      put x into StacktoLoad
> >      exit repeat
> >   end repeat
> >   go URL StacktoLoad
> > end mouseUp
>
> Usually when using a "repeat for each line x" structure you will break
> things if you change x within the repeat structure. Interesting that in
> this case it works. However, it's a good habit to get into to put x into
> another variable and then change that, if you're using "repeat for each...".
>
> -- Peter
>
> Peter M. Brigham
> pmbrig at gmail.com
> http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig