Checkbox question

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Sat Feb 18 16:28:57 EST 2012

Thank you for your thoughts, Ken and Ken.

 I did think about the ui aspects of this and all the points you raise.
The stack in question is very clearly defined in the application as one
where all the information on it is display only and cannot be changed in
any way.  There are clearly labelled buttons on the stack that are used to
change/add/delete data, functions which use different stacks to do their
jobs.

In spite of all that, I share your concerns.  Using the autohilite property
was a very easy way out of the original question but perhaps the image
approach might be better and not a lot more work if I use a behavior
script.  If I make it look sufficiently different form a normal checkbox
with no hilite just a symbol of some sort to indicate true or false, that
might be the best solution.

Pete

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Ken Corey <ken at kencorey.com> wrote:

> On 18/02/2012 17:42, Pete wrote:
>
>> I have a stack which is used to show information in a display only mode,
>> the user is not allowed to change any of the displayed values.  I want to
>> use checkboxes in some cases.  How can I prevent the user clicking the
>> check box and changing its state?
>>
>> I've currently got them disabled to achieve this but I'd prefer them to
>> have their enabled appearance, just not allow them to be changed.  I've
>> considered making images of the checkbox in its checked and unchecked
>> state, disabling the checkbox and assigning the appropriate image as its
>> disabled icon depending on the checkbox's state but wondering if there's a
>> more straightforward way to do this.
>>

> I'd have to echo Ken here (sounds positively self-serving, eh Ken?)
>
> Anyway, instead of playing with the response of the item, I'd have put a
> nearly-transparent widget over the top of the items (with just enough of a
> sheen so that it's obvious there *is* something on top), and then a panel
> explaining that no input is allowed.
>
> -Ken

Pete