Spell check for text fields

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:24:19 EST 2012

On 02/11/2012 11:07 PM, Keith Clarke wrote:
> I'm intrigued yet confused - don't all target platforms have native spell-checkers? Why can't these be accessed?

Well, it's news to me.

I work mainly with Linux, and decreasingly so with Mac PPC [it's a money
thing . . .  :) ] and I don't think the operating systems
as such have in-built spell checkers.

Certainly Appleworks and LibreOffice lever their own spell checkers.

I am writing this in Thunderbird (an e-mail client) and, as far as I am
aware it is using its own in-built checker.

Here's a spot of reading that seems to bear me out:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Using%20the%20spell%20checker

http://iwannafile.com/view/757738/helpsmith_v3_3_build_10_1021

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_checker  "On the PCs, these spell
checkers were standalone programs, many of which could be run in TSR
mode from within word-processing packages on PCs with sufficient memory."

TSR came before multitasking.  Presumably, nowadays, one can bundle an
open-source spell checker with one's Livecode standalone, and, IFF, one
can get the blasted thing to interact with one's Livecode stack one is
"laughing". HOWEVER, that's all beyond me; so, having chucked the wooden
spoon into the pot, I'll leave more knowledgeable people to stir the soup.