Any in-house corporate developers?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Feb 10 12:58:13 EST 2012

I have a login app that connects to my database and reads/writes credentials. I didn't take a lot of time to make sure that the pipe was encrypted, but it wouldn't be troublesome to do. The passwords however ARE encrypted as I said, in the stack before transmitting to the database. I use AES128 encryption, although there are others you can specify. I also use a seed value that cannot possibly be known beforehand. Pretty strong encryption considering I am only developing at present a hotel management app (basic to start with) and certain features like accessing accounting data or adding/deleting accounts can only be done by site or system admins.

All of this has to be coded into the app however. I don't know of any publicly available "frameworks" that would provide this functionality, although I can certainly see a market for well written libraries for such things. Plugins are very easy to implement in Livecode. It can be as simple as the "start using" command and then passing an authentication key or reading one off disk somewhere. sqlYoga works this way.

Livecode has a menu option under Development called Rev Online. This is where other developers have posted some of their creations for others to use. There is some very good stuff in there. Also other developers have written commercially available products that are quite good, and can be purchased at the Livecode store, although this is by no means the only place to purchase commercial products developed with Livecode. Quartam Reports is one I think you would be very interested in.

Bob