Any in-house corporate developers?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Feb 8 22:37:53 EST 2012

If by security you mean using encryption, I believe that there is a fairly robust encryption library built in. For instance, when I get a new password from a user, I encrypt it using aes128 and a seed that is different with each password. Stacks can be password protected so that someone else cannot look into your code. Many plugins are written this way.

If you use sqlYoga, there is a property of a connection object called "use ssl", so I take it to mean communications with the SQL server can be 2 way encrypted.

One caveat of Livecode is that it is not a multi-developer system. Some people have developed strategies for having more than one person work on a project at a time, but it's rather limited. That is one of the reasons I think that more people do not use Livecode.

You mentioned in another post that not that many people have used it. I think there are reasons for that. I tell sometimes of a company we used to use for IT consulting. The person who owned the consulting company was a member of our Church (the company I work for) and was very skilled so far as that goes. However, when he got into what we were using at the time, his recommendations always seemed to be to scrap what we had and get new equipment.

Once when we were looking into bandwidth management, for we provided internet service to a number of tenants in a building we owned, he was really pushing this one device. I asked him what else there was on the market that was a competing product. He said that he was sure there were other products, but he could not support them, because this was what he knew. He had been certified for that.

That is when it began to dawn on me that even the so called professionals were limited by experience and training. They were not going to adapt to what we had, but rather were going to do their best to get us to change to suit them.

Another phenomenon can be demonstrated by examining the PC vs. the Mac argument. People have often asked, why don't more PC users switch to mac if it is so much better? It seems that the answer is almost always, because Windows is what I know. I cannot learn a brand new operating system all over again. See? They think that the experience of learning the Mac OS is going to be just as tedious, cumbersome and time consuming as it was to learn the Windows system! It never dawns on them that they already know most of what they need to know.

Developers who are really good at Java are loathe to switch to a C based language and vis versa. They would rather take all the time it takes to code in the language they know, rather than take the time to learn something that might be better.

I have known many people who will struggle away days upon end putting tabs and spaces and carriage returns into a word document to get all the lines just where they want them, print it out, and then realize they want to change something. When they do it jacks up the whole document and they go back through and minutely force align it all again. When I propose that an hour or so with me and I can not only get rid of all the junk, but set the document up in such a way that all that can happen automatically, and show them how to do it in the future, they balk and draw back. "No thank you, I will just do it my way. It's what I know."

So you see, the notion that the apparent lack of people that have switched from a high level language like C or Java to Livecode somehow implies inferiority is too simple. The truth is, there are advantages and disadvantages. Rapid development and upgrade cycles weigh heavily on the side of Livecode. Multiuser development, less restrictions and a large development community weigh heavily on the other side.

I would say that for in house development of custom apps for a company, nothing can even touch Livecode. In fact I would not even begin to pursue a project so complex as the one I am working on now if I had to do it in Java or C++. I would not develop at all. With my current framework I can crank out a basic database app in a few days. Mind you, special features and data driven features would take more time, but just something to open a database, populate a form, update and spit out reports would be a breeze.

I suggest you get the 30 day demo and try it for yourself.

Bob