Android stats

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Feb 7 12:22:34 EST 2012

On 07/02/2012 05:14, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Very true, and I don't see much hope for improvement. On the other hand, it's
> pretty much expected you'll jailbreak an Android tablet so people update that
> way.

Jacque,

Do you have any stats for that, or is it anecdotal/instinct?  I work in a
roomfull of geeks, but I just asked the two on my table who have Android
phones, and neither of them had rooted/jailbroke/whatever...  And thinking of
my friends who have Android phones, most are completely non-technical and it
would never occur to them to do anything like that.

Maybe my milieu is different from yours; or maybe even the situation on
tablets is different from that on phones - I don't know anybody except me with
an Android tablet - but I'm not sure why it should be.

Again, this looks like a case where the Kindle Fire could be a special case,
because Amazon, like Apple, seem set to just push out updates with little user
intervention or control.  But in the rest of the tabletverse, I don't see any
reason to think the fragmentation won't continue.  But again that's just based
on extremely limited personal experience, so if you had some actual data I'd
be interested.

Ben