Help with Regex (was Re: Switch, Case and wild-cards?)

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 02:25:09 EST 2012

I don't know, but this is what the author of the 'learn regex the hard way'
book has to say:-

/The key to using regular expressions correctly is to know where their
usefulness ends and when you need to bust out a lexer. You also need to know
where a lexer falls down and when a parser is the right tool. When you use
regular expressions to simplify creating lexers that feed into simple
parsers you then have a set of tools for cleaning and accurately parsing
text without going insane.

In this book I'm going to subversively teach you parsing, but I'm going to
be very practical and straight forward about it. No NFA to DFA conversion.
No crazy explanations of push down finite state automata. Just practical
code that gets you introduced to the basics of parsing, understanding the
core theory, and then actually using them to get work done./

Peter Haworth wrote