Learning LiveCode

Nigel Soden nigels at amglighthouse.co.za
Sat Dec 29 08:06:38 EST 2012

To my fellow LiceCode citizens :)

My first posting was on the subject of learning LiveCode. I've in the last couple of days been struggling with what I conceder a small piece of additional code to get a date picker to work. Hence my first e-mail on the subject matter of learning LiveCode as you will gather as you read further on.

After doing some "Google.ing" around I found CalendarPane and a few others but choose to try CalendarPane as it fitted my requirements for a simple process. For me it turned into a nightmare trying to get it to work the way I expected it too. I'm not wanting to nitpick but the instructions on how to use the library left me rather confused has it's written to those who are familiar with LiveCode but never the less I pressed on and even posted on the RunRev forum were a brave soul assisted me.  That was 3 days ago and that's all I've been doing. Today I'm still no further.

D-Day 14:38 hrs  29th Dec 2012

I've scrapped using CalendarPane, not because it don't think it works, cause I'm sure it does, but because I just cant to get to grips with the way it's suppose to be used.
I've avoided buying a library as currently I'm trying to save cost while developing this application. And the only reason why is because of the conversion rate is not in my favour. A 49 dollar product equates to a weeks worth of groceries.

Seeing this product that I'm currently developing has an 80 percent chance of been sold and I will only know in 2/3 months time I thought I would try out flcDataPicker and seeing it had a 30day trail period I have nothing to lose if it don't work.  Within having it downloaded and installed as per the instructions I had a working process in less than 10 minutes. So what was the difference. The manual. That's all. It's written with the assumption that the user is not familiar and is a complete doof (South African word meaning idiot) with LiveCode.  It's also supplied with a Utility that'll even generate code to help you along. Also the Instructions have numerous examples.

I've been in this game since the 80's and without having to repeat my background has I have already placed that in ink in my first post. This is the level of assistance I would expect from purchasing or even from free ware products.

The lesson for me thou is my own product once finished must also come to the same level of documented examples and explanation.

Anyway, the rant is over and it cost me 49 dollars. Cracker's for the next week.

Nigel