Learning LiveCode

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Dec 27 14:34:34 EST 2012

On 12/27/12 2:24 AM, Nigel Soden wrote:
> Why could they not
> stay with standard computer technology terms. You gonna have to learn
> them sometime.

I snipped most of it, but first off, I really enjoyed your post. Not
because you are suffering but because it was so well written and
explained exactly the problem that most people have if they are arriving
here from experience with lower-level languages. You are not alone. I
think experienced programmers have it the hardest because they need to
unlearn most of what they know, or at least, re-learn it differently.

LiveCode doesn't use many standard technology terms because a lot of
what you are used to isn't needed. We don't have to worry about managing
memory or anything like that. The terms "stack" and "card" are
historical but do explain pretty well the concepts of how the objects in
the window are arranged and their relationship to each other. If you can
tell us what terms you think are missing, we can tell you either why
they don't exist, or what the equivalent is in LiveCode. Once you get
the hang of it, it will seem quite natural.

One way to learn is to look at the User Examples (there's a button in
the toolbar to get there) and choose a few stacks to study. There are
hundreds to choose from.

Another thing you can do is work through these (pretty old but still
useful) tutorials, which were designed to teach new users from ground
zero:
<http://www.runrev.com/developers/lessons-and-tutorials/tutorials/online-scripting-conferences/>

Those will walk you through all the important concepts and terms,
provide examples, and steer you in the right direction. The first few
stacks assume no knowledge whatsoever, and take you through things you
must know. Later in the series you can probably skip around; if you
don't care about a topic you can come back to it later.

Finally, ask here. We are an enthusiastic bunch who love to help, and
you'll get answers to any question immediately. Abuse us!

In 4-6 weeks you'll know what you're doing, I'm sure of it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com