Learning LiveCode

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Dec 27 12:44:29 EST 2012

ZX81

CPU chip was made by Zilog (thus the "Z").

The first Sinclair used the Z80. The Z80 chip was "Z80" because it was binary compatible with the Intel 8080. The ZX81 was a Z80 CPU with more stuff added into it, thus, the ZX81 (presumably eXtra and 81 because that was the next number).

Back in the day it made perfect sense to name it the Z80 and for the follow on to be the ZX81.

Kee (old guy)

PS: My first computer was a SouthWest Technical Products 6800 (aka SWTPC 6800)