Learning LiveCode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 12:37:22 EST 2012

On 12/27/2012 10:24 AM, Nigel Soden wrote:
> <snip>
>
> BUT, this is what is frustrating me. WHY AM I FINDING IT SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND THE FLIPPING LANGUAGE. I keep tripping up on the explanation in the multitudes of examples. for example.
>
> <snip>

Well, one of the reasons it that it does NOT have a "Flipping language",
unlike all those other "Flipping" languages such as C++, et al.

In fact the language inside Livecode (which has gone through almost as
many name changes as I've had cups of coffee
over the last 2 weeks) is far from "Flipping" . . .

. . . and once you manage to shake yourself free of looking for a
"Flipping language" you should find that everything is extremely
refreshing.

Every now and then I have an "odd patch" when I feel I really ought to
pull myself together and learn a "real computer programming
language"; then I remember when I was going in for all-in-wrestling
matches with Fortran IV (somewhere about 1975-6), BASIC (much the
same), PASCAL (1984) and ZILOG (1985); then think about muck such as
Visual BASIC, and I smile seraphically, and return to Livecode.

Frankly, having looked at C++, it gives me the WILLIES.

You stated that you wished to retire, at least partially; and the great
thing about Livecode is that the 'retirement' will come insofar
as you won't be scratching your head and uttering things far worse than
'flipping' while you get on and develop what you want to.

If you think I am just a "prawn" who fools about with Livecode go and
have a play with my Devawriter Pro:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/dwriterpro.html

All done in Livecode; no hidden strings about it.

And, further to the above; please feel free, either ON or OFF list to
contact me, however 'goofy' you may feel a question to be, and
I will do my best to help.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.