Help needed: Shell script stopped working in Mountain Lion!

Bruce Pokras bruceap at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 20:59:27 EDT 2012

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like cupsfilter is the way to go. Do I need to name a .ppd file, or is that optional? Also, I don't see where I name the input filename. I am a HyperCard scripter from way back, so I am dependent upon others for stuff like this. So if I have the input file path and the desired output file path, what exactly should my "get (shell cupsfilter)" command say?

As for Dr. Hawkins' question about combining the PDF files, I discovered that this can be done using a Python script that is a built-in Automator action using a command like this:

get shell("python '/System/Library/Automator/Combine PDF Pages.action/Contents/Resources/join.py' -o '" & thisShort[x] & "' " & theAddOn) -- adding pages to the existing file

"thisShort" is an array of pathnames of _resultant- files to which the "theAddOn" page is added. The previous file [x-1] is deleted once theAddOn page is successfully added to the PDF. This command is still working in Mountain Lion (thankfully!). I can provide more details if you would like.

Regards,

Bruce