remedial mysql???

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sat Aug 18 17:08:28 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
>
> > You don't HAVE to remove the START/COMMIT, I was pointing out that they
> are
> > superfluous.  Leave them in if you wish.
> >

> OK; I thought that it was up to the db what to do without them.
>

> > The semicolon issue has nothing to do with what mySQL requires, it's a
> > Livecode requirement - see the dictionary.
> >

> I'm not seeing that in the 5.5.1 dictionary for revExecuteSQL (or
> revDataFromQuery, for that matter).  Am I looking in the wrong place?
>

>From the dictionary entry for revExecuteSQL:

"The SQLStatement is a string <dictionary/keyword/1541.xml> in Structured
Query Language <glossary/s/461.xml>. (Do not include a semicolon at the end
of the SQLStatement.)"

> And while I'm asking such things, how can Livecode even *have* a
> requirement here--shouldn't it be just passing the command to the database?

Ours not to reason why, ours just to do as mother ship instructs :-)  Have
you tried it without the semicolons?

> > Finally, if you're using revDataFromQuery to do this, I'm surprised it
> ever
> > worked.  You're not getting data from a query, you're executing SQL
> > commands so you need to use revExecuteSQL.
> >

> Until today, I had been sending single line commands.
>
> I'm trying to cut the lag from a remote db by batching those commands I can
> (there was really no reason for these to be individual queries in the first
> place, other than that there will only be one or two of them typically,
> save when opening a new client "file", in which case there will be dozens")

OK, if you are doing multiple ALTER TABLE statements, then yes, wrap them
in START/COMMIT.  I thought you were only executing one since that is what
was in your original example.  But you still need to use revExecuteSQL;
revDataFromQuery is for returning columns from a SELECT statement.

I'm curious as to why you need to add all these columns to an existing
table.  I assume your database must be customizable according to the
clients' needs?

> .
>
> MySQL's own examples are generally multi-line, with the begin/commit
> syntax.

Yep, multiline=inlcude START/COMMIT, single line= no need to include
START/COMMIT but doesn't do any harm if you do.