[OT] How long before..

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Aug 1 13:08:06 EDT 2012

I think underlying all of this is the common conundrum where someone new comes in to take over management because the position was recently vacated. Even though the last person had everything working like a well oiled machine, where everything worked and everyone knew their jobs and did them well, the new person cannot simply let that be. He has to justify his existence, nay his paycheck!

So what does he do? He tries to make it "better". I was Operations Manager for a very successful radio ministry for years. I wasn't hired as the Operations Manager, there was just nobody doing it when I got there, and as the IT guy, moving them from working with paper and old defunct DOS terminals to new hardware and software, it simply made sense that I put that hat on.

So at one point we were on over 150 radio stations nationwide, and in some foreign countries as well, as people were willing to translate and rebroadcast the Bible studies. Everything was churning along just great! Then the head of the organization decided that we should be the ones making the money, not paying it to everyone else. So he began a new campaign of terminating the contracts and using the money to buy translators which re-broadcast a non-commercial signal out of Twin Falls Idaho, bounced off satellite.

Within two years the old syndicated programming was all but gone, the new radio station was strapped for cash constantly, they borrowed money like crazy to purchase real radio stations broadcasting commercial programming whose profit was supposed to pay for the non-comm translators. In the end it all fell apart, and no one since has been able to rebuild the old program. Very sad. All because someone had a "big idea" about how to save some money. It breaks my heart just to think of it.

As someone else posted, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But whoever came up with the Microsoft Software Assurance program virtually guaranteed that they would have to be on a never ending campaign to "fix it".

Bob