filename path over local network

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Apr 27 12:07:33 EDT 2012

I think then that for streaming videos, you need a setup card where you can configure the path to the movie files. When your app starts up, you will need to mount that volume if it is not local. There are shell commands for Windows to do that, as well as *NIX based systems. I do not think that LC has a command or function for mounting shares, but I could be wrong. Applescript can also be used for OS X. For Windows however, you can use this syntax for creating a mapped drive letter in the shell: NET USE G: \\<server>\<path> /YES The /YES switch means persistence, meaning next time the user logs in it will try to remount the share. I wouldn't worry about user names and passwords. It's up to the local admin to make sure that the user has access to the resources.

Anyway, based on your result from mounting the share, you can inform your user when a mount point fails, and either quit the app or else inform the user that streaming videos are not available until the share is mounted. You can have a button on your setup page which attempts to mount the share where the videos are.

I hesitate to say this because it complicates things, but what some software developers do is they install an app on a server, and then when users launch the app from the server, the first time it installs the local app and other resources it needs to run. This allows them to have a config file on the server that can be read telling the client apps where to find all the resources. It also allows the auto install of updates, by checking to see if the local version is the current version. It's just another way of going about it.

Bob