Time-Stamping Demo programs #2

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 22:14:44 EDT 2012

Richmond,

I don't know what your program does but if it allows the user to store data you could embed the timestamp in the data.

This is what I do with InfoWallet. The program InfoWallet itself isn't really timestamped but data files it creates are. When the datafile is created it gets a date stamp and that stamp is compared to the current date each time the file is opened. I give the users 50 days instead of 30 and if the 50 days are passed then the data file is simply not opened but the data itself is intact. Once the user purchases a license key the program no longer pays any attention to the date the file was created and they get access to all their entered data and can use it forever.

If the user passes the 50 days and still wants to experiment with the software then can simply create another data file but they would be starting the data from scratch. Because of this, the only functional limitation of the trial version is the inability to export the data back out. If I allowed that, the user could simply keep exporting and then importing into a new data file.

Bill Vlahos
InfoWallet (http://www.infowallet.com) is about keeping your important life information with you, accessible, and secure.