Code Security When Using LiveCode Server

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sun Apr 22 07:04:14 EDT 2012

On 4/21/12 11:19 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Gregory Lypny wrote:
>
> > In developing a site using LiveCode server, I’d be interested in your
> > thoughts on keeping prying eyes away from LiveCode scripts.  I
> > imagine that keeping the scripts in files and stacks, as opposed to
> > embedded in web pages, is the best thing.
>
> Why not?
>
> Jacque's right about the difference between the raw page and what the user
> gets, but personally I find embedding tons of LiveCode into my HTML
> distracting; I prefer to put simple function call in HTML and let libraries
> handle the rest.

Amen to this. Being a long-time desktop app builder, I find it an order of
magnitude easier to work with stacks in the IDE than to work on code
intermingled with HTML. In one big web app I stash all my lib stacks in a folder
on the server machine that is outside the web server's reach, but still
accessible as lib stacks via the server's file system. The app's web pages
contain only enough LC to start using the libs and they do almost everything.
I'm pretty confident no one will ever get them unless I have a serious non-web
kind of security breach.

Phil Davis