Zipping Up an LC standalone program

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue Apr 10 20:25:00 EDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 07:04 PM, Pete wrote:
> I guess my primary concern is that a user can simply download the
> compressed file and either have his browser autoatically un-compress it or
> just be able to double-click on it to un-compress it, then have the program
> be ready to use.  I may be misunderstanding but sounds like it might not be
> that straightforward with tar?
> Pete

I wouldn't say there's anything difficult about compressing using
tar+bzip2, which gives much higher compression than ZIP.

In a terminal:

cd to directory containing the directory you want to archive and compress

issue the command: tar cfj name-of-archive-to-create.tbz2
name-of-directory-to-archive

Done

It seems simple enough.

Warren